Friday, August 1, 2008

Graham Colton


Graham Colton
Originally uploaded by rachelparker
So a week ago Graham Colton had a sold out show at the House of Blues Pontiac Garage which once upon a time was The Cambridge Room. Oh corporate sponsorship screwing the names of venues up!

His openers I didn't really see all of the first guy Patrick Ryan Clark. I actually got there after he had gone on, but I asked a very nice guy and his girlfriend who had some space infront of them if I could crouch infront of them for the show and they were more than happy to oblige especially since I was going to be crouching. Plus later on I became a buffer between them and the really really really REALLY drunk girls. The second opener Nelo wasn't bad, I kinda got a Will Hoge vibe from them, and there was a descent crowd just for them. They all seemed to stay for Graham though so that was good.

When Graham came out that boy was so excited the house was packed with fans, friends, and of course some of his family. He definitely had about 5x's the energy he had when I saw him do his acoustic show out in Plano. So that was good, I'd actually like to see him on an even bigger stage and see how he would work that on a number like Cigarette where he set his guitar down and let the band handle it. Speaking of the band they sounded good, definitely cool to see a full band show with the new band after seeing an acoustic show.

Speaking of acoustic, he did a 3 song acoustic portion during the set and brought his dad up on stage to play with him, which was cool. Now would be a great time to bring up the super drunk girls. They were so drunk by this point in the set one of them almost took out one of the sound wedges. Like almost pushed it over right on top of the guitar pedals and what not. And this always makes me question, why do you go to a show and get that wasted. I understand having a couple drinks, but so drunk you cant stand let alone remember the show, I will never understand that. And I of course seeing as how I was crouched was the first person they would grab on to before they would almost fall, and then, they would pet me.. as if I was a dog or something. DONT PET ME! If you're gonna fall fine grab my shoulder.. but dont pet me! My gosh!! One of the really drunk girls did do this really funny count off thing Graham used to do during Cigarette though and he couldn't help but laugh at it even. So I have to say there was a tad bit of amusement.

I have to say, he is 0 for 2 on the songs I wanted to hear most list. Those songs if you're wondering the oh so depressing "New Years Resolution" and then also kind of depressing but an upbeat depressing "Whatever Breaks my Heart." If you're reading this Graham.. play these two the next time I come to a show and shoot you in Dallas! (I like to pretend sometimes the artist actually see these things.....)

Anyway for those who are wondering I snatched the set list and it went like this!

Telescope
First Week
You Find a Way
On Your Side
Forget About You
If Love Was Enough
Don't Give Up On Me
On and On
Last Few Days
Helen
Cigarette
Let It Go
Always In Love
Cellophane Girl
The Best Days (aka Me Gusta Day according to the set list)

He just booked several dates, if he's coming to your area I do suggest going to see him if you like the singer songwriter genre!


So after the show I went by and said hi to Kathy.. shout out to Kathy with a K! Only she will get that, and who knows if she will read this? Maybe? Who knows! Then I went by and said hey to Graham, and I keep forgetting to ask him for a dang guitar pic cause I collect them and throw them in my scrap book with my photos and tickets and photo passes and all that good stuff. It's amazing how nice he is and how many time's he thanks me for coming out and taking pictures. No dude, thank you for not having a 3 song limit! I hate those things. That's all I'm sayin! When he gets big and famous I'm sure he'll have one though. Graham definitely gets better further into the show too! He starts off strong anyway, but with most artist the end is always more energetic.


Photographically, the House of Blues is always unpredictable. It's like night and day sometimes. But the Pontiac Garage/Cambridge Room seems to be pretty consistent lighting. Which makes it a little easier when the back light is even to the front. It's not great lighting but its even. The big room has this amazing lighting system but blows out the backs and dims the fronts which is just moronic to me that they cant light the artist right. It's moronic to me. But the person in the Pontiac Garage/ Cambridge Room has it down alright. They did go a little heavy on the magenta's though. Overall it was an Ok shoot. I cant wait for the day I get to shoot Graham in great light. That'll be amazing!

But here are some shots!
Graham Colton Graham Colton Graham Colton Graham Colton
Graham Colton Graham Colton Graham Colton
Graham Colton Graham Colton Graham Colton Graham Colton
Graham Colton Graham Colton Graham Colton Graham Colton


Ok I still have a Gavin Degraw review to go so look forward to that! I'll try to get it done later today!

Rachel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

buffer for really drunk girls? what an interesting occupation...how do i go about applying for a similar position?